First, I must apologize ahead of time for the short novel I know this will be. After all, it is my first blog! And with the lack of sending a Christmas letter this year, I knew you'd all just be dying to hear my "thoughts of the year", and this saves paper. ;-) But I won't be offended (much) if you decide to scan quickly through, or stop reading all together -- you know, "saving this for later". Fall asleep at your desk and hit your head at your own risk. Here goes...
For starters, THANKS to everyone for their part in our Christmas this year - the company, the gifts (I don't think there's anything left in the toy stores), the food. Monica - your caramel popcorn was THE BEST (I even ate my mom and dad's - heehee). Debbie - I will forever now follow your "crock-pot hot cocoa on the patio" idea (which by the way, was the best hot cocoa I've ever had. Hmm...I must've had a sweet tooth this year). And as usual, Ma ended up making my all-time-favorite, biscuits n' chocolate gravy, after all. Between all that and the 5 dozen Christmas cookies I made and ate half of myself, I think it's time to call the dentist. The one thing I regret not getting to nibble on though, was Grandpa Wally's famous spiral ham. :( (Not that I had room!)
As usual, we had family activities and gatherings galore, some we couldn't all attend due to illness or lack of time, but what we did make was memorable. Some of us even escaped death this December! (Who knew snow-play could be so dangerous?) And we even made it to - not one, but two - church programs this month. Now that's what I call progress. ;-)
Now, here comes the boring part - my "Christmas Story"...
Christmas always brings back many memories. As I drove around with the kids this year looking at lights, listening to songs in the car from when I was little, I remembered and missed desperately 20 years ago when I was a kid. (Wow, did I just say 2o years?) :( And what would Merle Haggard say?
"Sing me back home with a song I used to hear; Make my old memories come alive; Take me away and turn back the years; Sing Me Back Home before I die".
Well, that about covered it.
I remembered how as a kid I couldn't wait to see all my cousins on Christmas Eve -- unfortunately, now most of us hardly ever see eachother, not even at holidays. I remembered how Grandma and Grandpa always had a gift for each of their 17 grandkids, not to mention great-grandkids. Being "her wart", I particularly thought of Grandma, coming in on Christmas Eve and giving out warm hugs. I could actually recall the warmth of her skin and her sweater, and her kisses on the cheek.
I wondered how Christmas was ever going to be the same. But, it won't. Time changes everything, and now we go through Christmas without them, and so many others. Then I started to think of my own kids, and all I could do to make it special for them. It (Christmas, childhood, life) obviously doesn't last forever, and I want them to enjoy every moment possible. And all of you are part of their memories too, which is why even though racing from one event to the next at Christmas gets a little frustrating at times, I'm thankful for all of them.
A lot of us I'm sure had reminiscent feelings and memories this year, of those lost and thought of especially at Christmas. So speaking for my own family, just a little "Merry Christmas" to all those that I and my family are thinking of. We miss you, and we'll see you in Forever. --

(I hope the dates are all right, and I know I didn't get everyone missed, being limited on pictures-sorry.)
We had some close-calls this past year as well -- my mom, aunt Jackie, cousin Danny -- all having serious health issues. I know they, and we, are all lucky to be here with our families for the holidays this year.
And, lastly - One of my favorite parts of Christmas is "forgiveness". It seems like almost everything can be put behind us as we celebrate. The past year has had its share of battles, but at Christmas and in times of need you remember what's really important, and that's time with family and friends. I'm sure I'll need to be reminded from time to time, but I want and hope that I can incorporate this phrase into my new year: "Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle." It'd be a wonderful world if we could all live by that statement.
Still awake? If not, wake up, 'cuz I'm done being cheesy and it's time to bring in the New Year! We hope that all your holidays went well, and may you live long and prosper. ;-)
Happy 2008!
Love,
Julie (and Wade, Dyl, & Ash)
P.S.
See some of our favorite December pics here (Christmas pics to come later):
http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=ce3jafsf.azgmxabj&x=0&y=lwlb8w





1 comment:
What a great Christmas story, made me laugh and cry!
Thank you for remembering my Jason, I miss him every day....
May God Bless you and your family through out this new year.
Love,
aunt sandra
Post a Comment